Plastic is all around us. Understanding the facts about plastic pollution is the first step, but changing habits can be key to clean living. While the thought of going completely plastic free can seem daunting, there is a simple recipe to follow to get started and make an impact.
Below are 7 key ingredients for going plastic free:
- Glass Water Bottle
- Insulated Coffee Cup
- Bamboo Utensils
- Reusable straws
- Reusable sandwich bags
- Stainless steel food containers
- Reusable grocery bag
- Assemble all items and purchase anything you may be missing. If planning ahead is challenging, buy duplicates of the ingredients and keep one set in the car, office, or wherever convenient.
- Pack all items in the reusable grocery bag every evening and place next to your front door. Every morning when leaving the house, grab your reusable bag and bring it with you.
- Grabbing coffee to go? Ask the barista to use your insulated coffee cup. Stepping out for lunch? Get your food to go in your reusable container or sandwich wrap. Control your portion and plastic consumption.
- When meeting friends for a drink, take out your reusable straw and enjoy sipping on your beverage without the plastic.
- When grocery or clothing shopping, skip the bag and pack all items in your reusable bag.
- At the end of everyday wash whatever items necessary.
- Repeat steps 1-6 over for the next month and start to notice the effects of living plastic free.
While these may seem like small steps to take in the war against plastic, every bottle, bag, or single-use container skipped is a win. Looking for more information on living plastic free? Read Beth Terry’s story on living plastic free for more ways you can transition lifestyles. Also, make sure to have a look through our Pinterest Page for more ideas on kicking the plastic habit at home and beyond.