Five Reasons to Switch the Straw (Infographic)
Similar to disposable plastic bags, plastic straws are used for only a few minutes, but remain in the environment forever. They end up on our beaches and in our oceans. They become a hazard to animals and ecosystems. Now is the time to switch the straw and choose reusable straws or go without. This month we are focusing on ditching plastic straws once and for all!
Top Five Reasons to Switch the Straw
- 500,000,000 plastic straws are used daily in the United States alone. That’s enough to wrap around the world 2.5 times, fill over 635 school buses a week, and fill Yankee Stadium 9 times per year.
- They never go away. Just like other plastics, straws last forever. In fact, every straw that was ever made still exists in some form.
- They pollute our enviornment and harm our wildlife. Plastic Straws are one of the top ten items collected at beach cleanups worldwide. Small particles from plastic straws end up in oceans where they are consumed by fish and other marine animals. Small particles also get swept up by water and end up leaching chemicals into our soil and groundwater.
- It’s an easy switch! Save money, time and your health by skipping plastic and choosing reusable. Our stainless steel straws are dishwasher safe, chemical free, and can be used with hot or cold beverages. Make your own straw sleeve or purchase one here for on the go !
- We’ve estimated that by selling reusable straws to our customers we’ve saved 74,000,000 plastic straws from the waste stream. By switching your straw you have the power to increase that number and spread the message globally.
What can you do to get involved? Please share this infographic and let us know how you’re spreading the word to #SwitchtheStraw! For the month of September, enjoy a FREE straw brush with every purchase of our stainless steel straws.