It’s Not Just a Straw, It’s a Movement
Today, 500 Million plastic drinking straws were used . Eventually, they pile on top of other non-biodegradable items contribute to a problem that we can’t solve overnight. A plastic straw is a standard at any fast food chain, and many sit-down restaurants automatically serve them in drinks. People use them at home and never think about what happens to the throw-away plastic after it hits the trash can.
Aside from ecological issues, plastic straws may also contribute to harmful side effects. Bisphenol A (BPA), a potentially toxic chemical sometimes found in plastic straws, is linked to everything from breast cancer to birth defects. To make matters worse it’s proven to leach out into your beverage. However, that risk can be easily avoided by using stainless steel drinking straws instead of plastic.
Switch the Straw
Instead of foregoing straws altogether, using straws made of stainless steel is a great option. Stainless steel is sturdy, reliable, and won’t leach any toxins into your drinks. These straws withstand hot and cold drinks and can be easily cleaned with a straw brush and washed in the dishwasher.
Stainless steel straws can help both your health and the environment, so why aren’t more people using them? People may not know what a big difference a little straw can make, but this September we want to educate you on facts and organizations that make it clear why reusable straws are the best alternative:
- Organizations are building campaigns around straw waste, like Surfrider, Plastic Pollution Coalition, and Ocean Conservancy.
- Young advocates are working hard to reduce straw waste in their communities, like Straws Upon Request.
- Restaurants are adopting straw-free policies. Find them at The Last Plastic Straw.
- Artists are raising awareness with exhibits dedicated to the impact of disposable plastic, like Natural Plasticity and One Beach Plastic.
- Individuals are refusing disposable straws and switching to reusable Stainless Steel Straws!
Will you help spread the word? Join us by using the tag #SwitchtheStraw and share how you have swapped plastic straws for a reusable alternative!
Finally during the month of September get a free straw brush with your purchase of a Stainless Steel 2-Pack (while supplies last). The brush will appear in cart automatically with the selection of stainless steel straws.