Enjoy a Waste-Free Lunch With These Food Wrap Ideas
We’ve already given you six reasons why you should bag the plastic baggie. Our solution to the 20,000,000 sandwich bags thrown away every year was to create a reusable food kozy. Today we’ve listed three of our favorite food wrap recipes just in time for you to pack your waste-free lunch!
Avocado Egg Salad Wraps
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or Vegenaise
- 1 teaspoon curry or fenugreek powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Wrap or bread
- Optional: lettuce and tomato for toppings
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mash together with a fork
- Adjust the salt/pepper/mayo to your taste
- Place the salad in a wrap or on bread
- Pack in food wrap for a waste-free lunch!
Chicken and Broccoli Bites
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 6 broccoli florets, cut into small pieces, stalks peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 2 cups total)
- 2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 ounces Jarlsberg cheese, coarsely shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 flour tortillas, (each 8 inches in diameter)
- 1 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast half (about 6 ounces)
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken; cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until juices run clear, and chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Let cool completely. Coarsely chop chicken, and transfer to a medium bowl.
Bring 1-1/2 inches of water to a boil in a small saucepan fitted with the steamer insert. Add broccoli; cover, and cook until broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Let cool completely. Coarsely chop broccoli; add to chicken in the bowl. Add cheeses, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well.
Place a packed 1/2 cup of chicken mixture in center of each tortilla; shape the filling into a horizontal oval. Fold in right and left sides about 1/2 inch, then tightly roll up.
For melted cheese, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pockets seam down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake until crisp and beginning to turn golden about 12 minutes. Cut in half crosswise to let cool and pack.
Cheesy Veggie Sandwich
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/4 small red bell pepper, very finely chopped
- 1/2 small carrot, very finely grated
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, crusts removed
Bring 1-inch water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add broccoli. Cover; let steam until soft. Drain. Let cool; finely chop.
Stir together ricotta, broccoli, bell pepper, and carrot in a medium bowl. Spread 1/4 cup ricotta mixture onto 1 slice of bread. Top with the second slice. Cut into quarters. Leftover spread can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 4 days.